Sunday 10 August 2014

Wandering around Walsingham.

Having a spare afternoon during my stay in Wells I travelled on the miniature railway to Walsingham to have a look around. Walsingham is a strange village, uncannily quiet, very rustic with many fine buildings, the main focus being the shrine to Our Lady, a place of pilgrimage for many. I spent time looking at and photographing some of the buildings, and would have visited the museum if it was still open (it closed at 4pm). I did briefly visit the shrine, but not being at all religious felt uncomfortable for some reason...

Anyway, some pics;

Detail above abbey archway.

Smart frontage, corrugated iron rear.

The old railway station, now a Russian Orthadox church. Walsingham has many churches...
I couldn't resist photographing this badly repaired door!

And a half-timbered selection, which should delight modellers;




Paul.

2 comments:

  1. I love these structures, so characteristic of the area with flints and hand-made bricks in the walling.The half-timbered structures are very tempting for modellers, but I especially like the re-purposing of the station building, very stylish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The buildings are wonderfull, but the village has a strange feel - reminding me a little of 'Children of the Stones' for some reason.

      Delete

Comment if you will, but none of that 'spam' please.